In a society which emphasizes the journey to pursue unattainable standards or beauty and perfection, countless individuals struggle with coming to terms with accepting and loving their own bodies. After all, it can seem like an unconquerable challenge to find self-peace whilst being bombarded with mainstream media’s constant messages that describe the a consumer lacking in the type of beauty that their products can perhaps achieve. Here are some tips to guide you through navigating the difficult path to self-love.
1. Talk back to the media. Don’t be silent after hearing or viewing an advertisement or program that lowers your sense of security. The media is not a reflection of reality, so remember to remind yourself that these qualities that are making you uncomfortable only require your permission to do so.
2. De-emphasize numbers. Remember that eating habits and exercise habits are more important than calories or BMI. Try not to spend too much time on the scale, and remember to value your motivation in leading a healthy lifestyle instead of stressing over numbers. Your weight can fluctuate daily, so don’t let a number dictate the happiness of your day. You’re allowed to feel good about yourself, no matter what a machine tells you.
3. Stop comparing. Your physiology is unique, and every body has different abilities and needs. Focus on the things that your body can do well, and the aspects of your body that you admire and appreciate, and don’t use someone else’s body as a reference point.
4. Move and enjoy your body. Not because you have to, but because it makes you feel relaxed, strong, and energized. Take part in activities that you enjoy or would like to try out, instead of feeling forced to go to the gym.
5. Spend time with people who have a healthy relationship with their bodies, exercise, and food. Their attitudes could be contagious and have a positive influence on your own relationships to these issues.