The summer season is a time filled with outdoor activities, such as pool parties, picnics, and amusement park visits. It’s also a time
“Yellow jackets (also known as wasps) and bees are the most common stinging insects. In addition to painful stings, these pests can also cause severe allergic reactions,” said Nancy Troyano, PhD, entomologist for Rentokil. "It is important to be aware of proper treatment procedures, to recognize the symptoms of an allergic reaction, and to understand prevention methods.”
A bee can only sting once, leaving its stinger lodged inside the skin along with a venomous sac that will continue to pump poison for over a minute. Wasps and hornets can sting multiple times, leaving a small puncture hole with each sting.
If stung by a bee:
>>Remove the stinger as quickly as possible (venom sac will continue to pump poison).
>>Because time is of the essence, brush or scrape the stinger away (rather than spending the time searching for a credit card or tweezers).
If stung by a bee and/or a wasp:
>>Wash the wound with soap and water.
>>You can reduce swelling by soaking in cold water or by covering the sting with a cold compress such as ice in a cloth, but never hold ice directly on the skin.
Additionally, if you notice chest pains, swelling around the throat that could constrict breathing, wheezing, or headaches within the first 30 minutes of a sting, call an ambulance immediately.
“To minimize the risk of being stung by these insects, do not swat, wave your arms, or panic around the insect. Wear light-colored clothing, cover food and beverage containers and avoid wearing perfume or scented shampoo, as some scents will attract these stinging insects. If you find there is a high number of wasps or bees in your home or garden, seek professional services. It is likely there is a nest nearby that should be eradicated,” said Troyano.